Thread: Towing a trailer

Default Towing a trailer

Hi guys and gals,

Thinking of getting a trailer but am confused by the regulations.

All I need to know in simple speak is if you got your license after 01/01/97 what gross weight of trailer can be towed if the car has a gross weight of 1710kg.

Also if you got you license several years before 1997 what is the situation.

Any help ppreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Towing a trailer

I thought if you passed your test before 97 you could tow without issue but, after 97 you need to pass a test regardless what size it is

Blog Entries

got this of gov.uk website hope this helps

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats
    Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

•a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

i do alot of towing, an from what i see above i can by law tow as long as the vecihle + trailer + item on trailer dose not exced 3.5 ton

if you passed your license after 1997 you need to do a trailer test

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm a little clearer now.

Although I passed my test long before 1997 and do not have a problem towing I wanted another member of teh family who passed their test after 1997 to tow a trailer.

There are small trailers you can tow on a B licence but they are not suitable to put the quad on.

Looks like thre will be a trailer test coming up to enable B+E.

The document below might be helpful to others.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by PeterJ; 2nd February 2012 at 19:45. Reason: correction

i looked right into this as i pull a trailer a lot and passed my test after 97 so basically if you passed after 97 you CAN pull a trailer without passing a trailer test BUT can only pull 750kg or a combined weight of 3.5 tonne so i the vehicle pulling weights 3 tonne you can only pull 0.5 tonne if you are going to be pulling more weight than that you will have to do a trailer test. hope this helps

also there is no regulations on what size of trailer it is i pull a 6x4ft and have pulled 10x4ft it is all clearly on the weight